Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week 7: Mary, the Mother of Jesus


While I was in Las Vegas I got to go see the Lion King. I love theater, especially musicals. When I was a teenager I thought about pursuing a career in the arts, but God had other plans. In fact, His plans far exceeded anyting I could have dreamed for myself. It is a great thing to be a Daughter of the King.

This lesson is about Mary, the Mother of Jesus. Read Luke 1:26-55. What is the best news you have ever received? Did you get your dream date? Did you win something or make it on the team? Did your character and walk with God shine in the process?

Mary had an upstanding lifestyle. God saw her heart and knew she could do something very special for Him. She was not perfect, just like we are not perfect, but she was willing to serve. I doubt that being the mother of Jesus was in her life plan. You probably have your goals and plans also. That is great. We all need to have direction, but how much or do we include God in our plans? If I would have just listened to myself I would have gone down a much different path, not the one God had just for me.

Did you notice in the study that Mary had a mentor in Elizabeth? She needed someone to listen to her and give her Godly counsel. Do you have anyone in your life that fills that need? Do you have someone that you can be accountable with and you know the advice they share is based on God's Word, not the latest gossip? If you don't pray that God will put that person in your life to help you grow spiritually.

Do you consider yourself to be special or unique? God does. I love this verse, Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Mary probably saw herself as ordinary, but God saw her talents and gifts. Each one of you is wonderfully made. God has a special plan just for you. It won't magically happen. It takes commitment to Christ and following Him daily, but He will guide your steps if you follow. I may not ever be on Broadway, but I know I am right where God wants me ande there is such joy in being right where God wants me to be. Blessings are flowing in the center of God's will. I just have to trust Him. I pray that you will seek to be right where He wants you to be also. You may not understand it, but His plan is so much better than anything you could create for yourself. Trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment