Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week 6: Letting God Heal Your Hurts


So, I was in Las Vegas for a week doing conferences for teachers. Let me tell you that a week in Vegas is a long time. People can make all kind of choices in Vegas. Where to eat? Where to shop? What show to see? Lots of choices. But even with all the glitz and glam of Las Vegas, people are often there to hide hurts. They want to escape their real lives and act in ways that may not be healthy for them in order to fix the hurt.

There are great things about Las Vegas also, like In-N-Out Burgers. You can only get them out west, so when in town I make it a point to hang out there at least once. Yummy burgers and fries. While I was there this time, I overhead a disturbing conversation of a teenage girl and her 2 college friends. Someone had left a Gospel track on the table where they sat outside. I was a few feet away. The girl started reading it aloud and making jokes along the way with each step of the salvation plan. I wondered what could have happened to this girl that she had such a jaded view of the Gospel and Christians. I prayed in that moment for the Lord to let me know if I was to approach the students, but God instead had me lift the three up in prayer. I don't think that words were what these 3 needed at the time. Why do people reject Jesus? Why do people make bad choices? This lesson is about Tamar. It is a tragic story and one that brings out the need for a Savior to heal all our hurts.

Read 2 Samuel 13-1-19 to find out the terrible plot against Tamar.  Tamar was the victim of a violent crime. Something she believe she could not get over. She considered herself a desolate woman because of the event. We have all been hurt in some way or the other. It may be in a physical manner or something more emotional. How do you get over something like that? Or do you? God has the power to heal. He sees our hurts and does not make fun of them, but wants us to cling to Him when we are hurting. It may also mean you need to talk to someone about your fears and experiences. I hope you know you can come to me or Jessie to talk about whatever is on your heart. There is no judgement, just love and a caring heart.

Tamar was tricked and hurt. Can good come out of tragedy? How has God used a hurt or tragedy to bring good out of it for you and others? Jeremiah 29:11 is a great promise for us, For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Make this a memory verse for you to hold on to when things are rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment