Tuesday, November 24, 2009

on gratitude.



Thanksgiving is nearly here and I can't hardly wait.  I so dearly love this time of year.  Holidays, family, memories, festive decorations, parties, hot chocolate, Christmas shopping...It all just warms my soul.  I find though, that it's really easy for me to take a lot for granted.  With the speed of life, it's really easy to get caught up in all the festivities and moments without taking time to soak it all in and cherish each and every little intricacy.  It's really easy to forget to be grateful.  So, in an effort to NOT take all of the blessings in my life for granted, I've decided to compile a list of all the things for which I'm grateful, a "Thanksgiving Tally," if you will.  Here goes:

Thanksgiving Tally:  things I'm thankful for, but often overlook...
-My family...I really couldn't ask for more loving parents or a more insightful sister.
-My friends...They are continually and unashamedly supportive.
-My job...it's definitely a gift.  I couldn't ask for more.
-My house...I have a warm home, a dry bed, and plenty of food to eat. 
-The freedom to worship...God chooses me and allows me to worship Him.  And I live in a country that allows me to do the same.
-The opportunity to serve...People all around are hungry and I have access to the food they need.  What a humbling opportunity.
-Students...Oh boy, my joy.  They are such a blessing to know and be with.
-Our church body...So many people that love the Lord and seek to do His will.  What an encouragement they are.
-Mentors and advisers in life...The Lord is so faithful in placing in my life such valuable people that have so much wisdom and knowledge to share, and a real passion for sharing such.
-My Savior...How often I go without giving credit where credit is due.  I am nothing without the redeeming blood of Christ.
-Unconditional love...I am so undeserving, yet nothing can separate me from God's love.  How grateful I am.  

This list really doesn't do my life justice, I don't think.  I know there are many other people and blessings in my life, but this exercise has given me plenty to reflect on and praise the Lord for!  I hope that you would consider stopping and thinking through your life during this season.  My prayer is that we wouldn't get caught up in what we lack when really, the Lord has blessed us so bountifully.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.  Psalm 118:1

No comments:

Post a Comment