Thursday, June 24, 2010

on growth.


Recently, I've changed my quiet time spot. That's right, I said goodbye to my comfy chair and have situated myself on my front porch for the last couple of weeks. Let me tell you, that's the best decision I've made in quite awhile. There's something about meeting with the Creator while enjoying His creation. I love it. Why am I telling you this? Well, this week, the Lord definitely spoke to me through my quiet time outside. And I want to share it with you.

Right near my front porch is a beautiful--and currently overgrown--weeping fig tree. I love this tree. It's so peaceful to me. Often I find myself admiring it and just enjoying it. But one particular morning I noticed just how badly my weeping fig needs attention. Several of its sweeping branches are nearly kissing the ground, which is my mind is whimsical and oh so soothing. However, as far as curb appeal is concerned, my beloved tree really needs some TLC. This means I've got work to do.

As I broadened my view this particular morning, I realized that really, all of my shrubs and landscaping needs some serious attention. Why is it that months pass by and nothing requires my attention or effort, and then all of the sudden, everything needs cared for? Immediately my attitude shifted and I was overwhelmed with the work I had to do. But the Lord spoke. The issue causing my labor isn't really an issue at all, but a blessing. The cause: new growth.

Right away, I got it. (Rarely does this happen, FYI.) Isn't this the same with us? Don't we tend to take months off and just coast along, maybe casually asking God along the way to do something in us? But then once something happens, we immediately notice the discomfort that His growth in us causes.

Here are a couple of things I've learned about growth:
1. It doesn't come without grief. (Thank you, Pastor Hosea, for this one.) Embracing the new means that we have to get rid of the old. Just like with my shrubs and trees. In order for the new life to not get choked out and die, I've got to remove the dead and tend to the living, new buds.

2. Rarely is it convenient. Growth means change and change is hard for us as humans. But growth is essential to our life on every level. Without new life, we're dead, and if dead, we definitely can't fulfill the call the Lord has placed on our lives.

In reality, that growth, that new life is really what Jesus is all about.
Jesus says, "...I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10b

So let me ask you this: What season are you in? Are you experiencing growth in any areas of your life? How are you reacting?



No comments:

Post a Comment